International Network of Drug Information Centre
Expert Consultation Workshop Consensus Document
Villa Borsig, Berlin
29 October, 1997
History of INDICES
Objectives: Advocacy, Quality, Access
Action Plan 1997 - 1999
SHPA - International Register of Drug Information Services
HISTORY OF INDICES
In May 1995 the German Foundation for International Development (DSE)
hosted an international seminar in Berlin on Improving Drug Information
Centres in Developing Countries, in collaboration with the World Health
Organisation, Geneva. The meeting was attended by a number of international
delegates including strong representation of African participants. The
objectives of the meeting was to promote the role and value of drug information
centres and to develop guidelines for the establishment, running and support
of such centres.
At the meeting the International Network of Drug Information Centres
(INDICES) was established by a core group of participants (Dzulkifli Abdul
Razak [Malaysia], Ossy Kasilo [Zimbabwe], Geraldine Bartlett [South Africa],
Leesette Turner [South Africa], Markus Fritz [Switzerland], James Ombega
[Kenya], Samiha Faltas [Egypt], Rosario d'Alessio [PAHO]).
In January 1997 the first message on the electronic INDICES was mailed
to the E-drug discussion group. In March 1997 INDICES set up an electronic
discussion group with the assistance of Wilbert Bannenberg and hosted by
Healthnet in Boston. The electronic INDICES was the culmination of considerable
discussion during the previous year on the need for an international drug
The original goals for the electronic INDICES were:
- to create a forum for the exchange of ideas between drug information providers
in the developed and developing world.
- to promote the provision of drug information in the developing world.
- to explore ways in which the developed world can support the developing
world in the establishment of centres, services and electronic support
- to promote training in the provision of independent drug information
- to promote rational drug use
- to disseminate information on appropriate drug information resources e.g.
lists of centres and providers, support organisations, books, etc.
It was hoped that list members would include:
- participants from the developed or developing world.
- drug information centres who may provide information to health professionals, to the consumer or both
- related groups and organisations e.g. any group supporting the provision of independent drug information.
- drug information service providers e.g. those organisation/people who may produce a bulletin, provide training, books or other resources
- those independent of pharmaceutical industry funding
To be a leading global network of drug information centres.
INDICES aims to advocate rational drug therapy throughout the world,
particularly in developing countries, by providing global access to quality
drug information. This network empowers drug information centres and health
care workers by offering leadership, training and support through the sharing
- To establish networks for the exchange and dissemination of quality drug information (access)
- To provide training and continuing education in matters relating to drug information (training)
- To promote quality drug information through the setting of the standards (quality)
- To facilitate the establishment and enhancing of drug information services (organisation)
- To promote research in drug information and related areas (research)
- To advocate the culture of quality drug information (advoacate)
- To create a pack that aims to obtain support and improve awareness of the need for quality drug information by January 1998.
- To promote/market INDICES in the health professional arena by all possible means (policy makers, international agencies.)
- To document criteria for quality standards of information (provision, sites, resources) and to obtain consensus.
- To promote research into drug information requirements.
- To ensure a critical mass by providing electronic linkages between 10 resource sites by 31 Dec. 1998.
- To have partner sites in developing countries by 31 Dec. 1998.
- To load a website by 31 March 1998.
- To develop overall access to drug information centres in developing countries.
- To compile a basic resource and training pack (DIY).
- To provide technical support.
INDICES ACTION PLAN 1997-1999
- Brainstorm and write draft INDICES charter on quality drug information
and discuss with participants by 31 October 97 (WB, MF).
- Write a first draft advocacy plan in Berlin (PHS), circulate among core
members; ready for distribution by 31 January, 98.
- Write a draft 'what/who/why/when' of INDICES by 31 Oct. 97 (DR, OK, LT),
discuss among core members, finalise for public consumption by 31 Jan 98.
- Publish core in WHO EDM (DF), DI journals (DW, GV, MF), Internet conferences (LT, WB) (target: 1 Feb. 98)
- Write a draft 'Ethical criteria for essential drug information' or 'GPI
- Good Information Practices' by Dec. 1998 (GB*, WB, GV, OK, LT, DR, MF. et.al).
- Discuss draft 'Minimum requirement and practical advice for DICs' with
DSE participants (OK*, Nov.97), circulate for comments, test it on starting
DICs (march - August 98), and present at S. Africa `98 workshop.
- Write guidelines for INDICES questions, exchanges, answers by 31 Jan 98 (LT, DW*)
- Write draft methodology for assessing, monitoring and evaluating DIC performance
and quality, test it, circulate for comments and adopt at 98 meeting (GB*, OK, MF).
- Set up a test site (Dzul); formal INDICES Website with links to INDICES
members by 31 March 98 (*LT, WB, Dzul, GV, DW).
- Promote INDICES off-line e-mail conference (LT, WB).
- Develop guidelines for users and moderators of the INDICES conference (LT, WB).
- Discuss support for e-mail set-up among interested DICs in developing countries with Healthnet (WB).
- Each tutor to write a reflective report on the DSE training course by 7 November 97 (all teachers).
- Identify key training and support material for DICs by 31 Jan 98 (OK, LT, DW).
- Agree on a 'INDICES key resource list (people, materials, organisations)' by 31 Jan 98.
- Develop a need-based support/action plan for DI services in developing countries by 31 Jan 98 (OK, LT).
- Develop a training framework by 31 March 98.
- Develop a basic DIY pack for level-1 DICs by April 98 (Dzul, DW, DF, GB, OK, hired consultant and co-ordinator (hired by WHO/DAP before 31 Dec, 97), based on pink book and other materials, draft outline available by 30 Nov. 97 as terms of reference for consultant).
- Follow-up training workshop (combined with 1st. INDICES Association Meeting? Target Sept.-> Nov. 98?, South Africa, WB/GB/LT).
- Satelite meeting FIP Cairo September 1998?
- Logo & house style to be decided upon by 31 Jan 98 (Dzul, MF)
- Develop criteria for membership of INDICES, draft Rules and Procedures
for INDICES assocation, to be adopted at next meeting (Dzul, adapt from
ISDB, circulate for comments by 30 Nov. 97)
- Identify and invite some 10 DI centres/persons to act as INDICES resource
sites/co-ordinators by 31 Jan 98 (GV et.al.)
- Evaluate experiences with resource sites + persons, and develop criteria/guidelines
by 31 Dec. 1998 (GB et. al).
- Develop draft terms of reference for twinning relations incl. Mutual expectations
and commitments by 31 Dec. 97 (DF).
- Identify and list potential developing country partners and members by
31 Jan 97 (WB, LT, DR)
- Evaluate Cochrane set-up experiences (PHS).
- Identify co-ordinators (GB/LT), ad-hoc secretariat/piggy-backing organisation
(GB), ad-hoc funding (WHO) and lots of voluntary commitment (all et. al).
- Write a 'who is where on e-mail in drug information' (LT/WB).
- Contact strategic partners (e.g. WHO/DAP, HAI, INRUD, ISDB, PAG, others),
write comparative/complementary analysis by 31 March 98 (WB).
- Search for seed funding of INDICES partners (small scale from donors, e.g.
Ausaid, UK, Netherlands 'Small Embassy Projects' max. USD 10,000)
- Search seed funding for advocacy pack (WHO?)
- Ad-hoc funding for Sept./Nov. 1998 workshop (South Africa) (??)
- Ad-hoc funding for April 1999 Berlin workshop (DSE?)
- Write fundable ideas (all), write draft funding plan (WB), identify funding
consultant (DF), rewrite a core funding plan for INDICES (ad-hoc funding
WHO?), Test water with donors, put in formal project proposals, donor massage
(all et. al).
- Set up legal structure and bank account.
- Set up database of DI related articles by Dec. 98 (GV)
- Research questions asked; standardise Q&A formats; integrate into one database by Dec. 98 (DW, GV).
- Identify research funding (DW)
- Virtual DI researchers Website by Dec. 98
- Collaborate with INRUD and other networks
- Perform operational research and publish
The latest INDICES subscription stats are as follows:
|334 Total users from 57 countries|
|Made up as follows:|
|1 ||ebonet.net ||Angola|
|2 ||ar ||Argentina|
|2 ||am ||Armenia|
|20 ||au ||Australia|
|1 ||by ||Belarus|
|4 ||be ||Belgium|
|1 ||bol.healthnet.org ||Bolivia|
|4 ||br ||Brazil|
|5 ||ca ||Canada|
|1 ||cn ||China|
|5 ||cu ||Cuba|
|2 ||cz ||Czechoslovakia|
|1 ||dk ||Denmark|
|1 ||do ||Dominican Republic|
|1 ||eg ||Egypt|
|3 ||eri.healthnet.org ||Eritrea|
|2 ||ee ||Estonia|
|1 ||fj ||Fiji|
|3 ||fr ||France|
|5 ||de ||Germany|
|1 ||gha.healthnet.org ||Ghana|
|3 ||hk ||Hong Kong|
|1 ||is ||Iceland|
|6 ||in ||India|
|4 ||id ||Indonesia|
|1 ||il ||Israel|
|2 ||it ||Italy|
|6 ||jp ||Japan|
|1 ||ken.healthnet.org ||Kenya|
|5 ||ke ||Kenya|
|2 ||my ||Malaysia|
|2 ||mu ||Mauritius|
|1 ||moldova.su ||Moldova|
|2 ||mz ||Mozambique|
|2 ||na ||Namibia|
|1 ||np ||Nepal|
|8 ||nl ||Netherlands|
|4 ||nz ||New Zealand|
|3 ||ni ||Nicaragua|
|2 ||ng ||Nigeria|
|4 ||no ||Norway|
|7 ||pk ||Pakistan|
|1 ||ru ||Russian Federation|
|2 ||sg ||Singapore|
|43 ||za ||South Africa|
|1 ||su ||Soviet Union|
|4 ||es ||Spain|
|1 ||lk ||Sri Lanka|
|3 ||se ||Sweden|
|8 ||ch ||Switzerland|
|1 ||tan3.healthnet.org ||Tanzania|
|1 ||tz ||Tanzania|
|3 ||uga.healthnet.org ||Uganda|
|2 ||ug ||Uganda|
|9 ||uk ||United Kingdom|
|64 ||com ||United States (commercial)|
|11 ||edu ||United States (educational)|
|4 ||gov ||United States (federal government)|
|12 ||net ||United States (network)|
|21 ||org ||United States (organization)|
|2 ||ve ||Venezuela|
|1 ||vn ||Vietnam|
|2 ||zm ||Zambia|
|5 ||zw ||Zimbabwe|
222 - Foreign users from 56 countries
112 - US users
334 - Total users from 57 countries
files used to generate this report: indices
snail: PO Box 21638, Kloof Street, 8008, SA
Send mail for the `INDICES' conference to
Mail administrative requests to `firstname.lastname@example.org'.
For additional assistance, send mail to: `email@example.com'.