Penang (Malaysia) - A seven-year-boy here was infected with
brucellosis after drinking raw goat milk.
Following the incident, the first in the state, ninety-eight goat were
culled after testing positive for carrying the Brucella bacteria.
is caused by the Brucella bacteria and is a disease that affects many cattle,
swine, goats and sheep. Also called
Bang’s disease or undulant fever, it is a highly contagious zoonosis caused by
the ingestion of unsterlised milk or meat from infected animals, or close
contact with their secretion. It causes
flu-like symptoms, muscle pain and swollen glands, and can result in
complications like bone and joint lesions, encephalitis, meningitis and chronic