Beijing (China) - An 11-year-old Beijing boy became a hero to
consumers after he revealed that mushrooms declared safe by officials were
tainted with harmful chemicals.
primary school pupil began investigating mushrooms after his mother forbade him
to eat them following reports casting doubt on their safety. Hoping to disprove the latest fears to
tarnish China’s scandal-plagued food industry – that harmful bleaching agent
were used to whiten the fungi, the young student in July began gathering a
range of mushroom samples. With the help
of a research student at China Agricultural University, he tested the samples
using a microscope and fluorescent lighting.
It was found the chemicals were used on the overwhelming majority of the