Woman poisoned by face cream
- The Sun, August 27, 2009
Hong Kong Department of Health has urged women not to use a certain face cream that
was found to contain more than 43,000 times the acceptable level of
mercury. The warning was issued after a
58-year-old woman was admitted to hospital with mercury poisoning after using
the cream. The woman who fell sick in
early July experienced headaches, dizziness, tremors and a tingling sensation
on her feet after using the cream twice a day for a month.
Eggplant poisons 60 Vietnamese
- The Sun, August 19, 2009
Hanoi (Vietnam) - Health officials in Vietnam are
investigating whether pesticides poisoned more than 60 people who ate picked
eggplants. The victims, in Hung Yen
province near the nationís capital were hospitalized with fevers, stomach
aches, headaches and vomiting. Residents were reported as saying all of the
eggplants came from the same local store in An Thi district. Although bad hygiene is often blamed for food
poisoning outbreaks in Vietnam,
there are also concerns about contamination from agricultural pesticides.
Poison cases in China rise
- The Star, August 15, 2009
Beijing (China) - A smelting plant in northern China has been
blamed for the growing number lead poisoning in children in the area. Tests
showed at least 615 children out of 731 living in two villages near the plant
in Changqing, Shaanxi province, to have excessive lead
levels in their blood. While tests and
treatment are being carried out on the children, authorities closed the
Dongling Lead and Zinc Smelting company, blaming it for the poisoning although
it is not established as yet if pollution by the company caused the childrenís
illness. The lead level in the blood of
the children tested ranged from 100mg to more than 500mg per litre, compared
with normal levels of between zero and 100mg.
Children are more vulnerable to lead poisoning which can harm their nervous system and the presence of more than 200mg
in their body is considered hazardous.
Gas leak at factory kills six
- New Straits Times, August 12, 2009
Tanjung Karung (Malaysia) - Escaped ammonia gas from the cooling system
of a fish processing plant killed six people.
The first to succumb were two workers who lost consciousness while
carrying sacks of fish from the factoryís freezer for a fertilizer company.
Seeing their predicament, four other people rushed to their aid but lost
consciousness themselves. They were all
pronounced dead upon arrival at the district hospital.
Ammonia is a health hazard
because of its corrosive nature to sensitive organs like skin, eyes and
lungs. Exposure to the gas, commonly
found in small amounts in household cleaners and fertilizers, can result in
cough, chest pain, respiratory problems, severe stomach pain and severe burns
if contact hours are prolonged. Lung
damage and death may occur after exposure to high concentrations of the toxic
and pungent gas within 24 to 48 hours.
Pesticide link to childhood leukaemia
- New Sunday Times, August 9, 2009
study by Georgetown
Universityís Lombardi Comprehensive
Cancer Centre found that patients with childhood leukaemai have elevated levels
of household pesticides in their urine.
Although it cannot be assumed that pesticides caused these cancers, the
researchers said their findings certainly support the need for more robust
research in this area.