Kiss of death from mum to newborn
- The Star, February 28, 2009
London (England) - An 11-day-old baby died after her mother
unwittingly infected her with a virus which causes cold sores, probably through
a kiss or breastfeeding. An inquest
found the newborn died after being infected with the Herpes Simplex virus
(HSV). The virus had attacked the baby’s
major organs and she died within days.
The coroner said, the baby’s mother probably caught the
virus late into her pregnancy, most likely for the first time in her life,
which caused her not to have developed an immunity, nor her child. She was said to have fallen ill with flu-like
symptoms a few days before giving birth, and was treated for several mouth
Two sentenced to death for snack bar poisoning
- The Star, February 25, 2009
Beijing (China) - Two migrant workers in Shenzen convicted of
poisoning food at a snack bar in which two diners died and 61 others sickened
have been handed the death sentence. The
poisonings which happened a year ago arose from a business dispute.
Tainted pork sickens at least 70 people
- The Star, February 24, 2009
Beijing (China) - At least 70 people in China fell ill
after eating pig organs contaminated with an illegal weight-loss drug. All the victims suffered from stomach pains
and diarrheoa after consuming the tainted pork.
Investigations showed the suspect pork bought from local markets was
contaminated with clenbuterol, a drug often given to people to treat asthma but
also commonly used to cut body fat.
there have been recorded cases where clenbuterol were given to pigs to reduce
their fat but it is a banned food additive as it can be fatal for humans. One of the worst cases involving clenbuterol
occurred in Shanghai
in 2006 when 336 people were hospitalized after eating pig meat or organs
contaminated with the additive.
Graphic picture have made many smokers quit
- The New Straits Times, February 21, 2009
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) -
Graphic warnings on cigarette packs have helped smokers in the country
to quit, said Malaysia’s health minister.
Pictures showing the devastating
effects of smoking on health had also deterred young people from taking
up smoking. The minister said his
ministry will continue to place advertisements highlighting the health impact
of smoking to encourage the country 3.5 million smokers to give up the
unhealthy habit. Malaysians puff around
30 million sticks a day. Many of the
smokers are between 15 and 25 years old.
From March 1, all brands
produced by cigarette companies in Malaysia will be required to carry the
graphic warning and from June 1, there will be a total ban on the sale of
cigarette packs without graphic warnings.
More non-smoking zones will
be gazetted to further curb smoking
Smoker’s widow get US$8mil
- The Star, February 20, 2009
Fort Lauderdale (Florida) U.S.A - Cigarette giant, Philip Morris, has been
ordered by a jury to pay US$8mil in damages to the widow of a smoker who died
of lung cancer in a case that could set a standard for some 8,000 similar
Florida lawsuits. The six jurors
deliberated over two days before returning the award for Elaine Hess, 63, whose
husband Stuart Hess died in 1997 at age 55 after decades as a chain smoker.
The Hess case was the first
to go on trial since the Florida Supreme Court in 2006 voided a US$145bil
class-action jury award in the so-called Engle case, by far the highest
punitive damage award in US history.